As temperatures rise, please be mindful that your pets can suffer from the excessive heat. Pets can become dehydrated and overheat quickly, so know the signs of overheating. These include excessive panting, increased heart rate, dry or pale gums and weakness or collapse. To avoid overheating, try not to overexert your pet on walks, and make sure they always have access to fresh water and a shady spot to sit in.
We would also like to remind pet owners that ‘dogs can die if left in hot cars’. Pet owners often think leaving a window open is sufficient for their pet but this is not enough to prevent heatstroke under intense sunshine which can have fatal consequences. We all love the sunshine but it is important to be aware of the dangers that can be caused by leaving a dog unattended in a vehicle during hot weather, even for 10 minutes can prove to be fatal.